Most people are no strangers to neck pain. An occasional stiff neck is a normal part of life. It can happen from sleeping in an awkward position or hunching your head forward all day. Usually, you can treat this kind of neck pain with a little rest and some home treatments, but sometimes you need more than this for relief.
Some conditions that cause neck pain can be treated with interventional pain management or orthopedic surgery. However, many conditions can be treated with a more conservative method called chiropractic care.
Five chiropractic care treatments for neck pain
Chiropractors have licensed health care professionals who reduce pain and improve the range of motion in the spine and joints. The techniques they use are all physical techniques and involve no incisions, needles, or medications. Treating neck pain this way can reduce your pain without relying on drugs that cause side effects or undergoing a procedure that requires a long recovery effort.
Take a look below at five common chiropractic care techniques for treating neck pain:
- Spine manipulation — This technique uses gentle manipulations and thrusting that can help realign the spine to reduce pain and improve its range of motion.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation — This technique involves the use of instruments to help apply force to the spine without using thrusting. This procedure is beneficial for patients whose spine may be unfit for handling thrusting techniques.
- Flexion-distraction — This technique involves repeatedly pressing on the vertebrae to help align the spine and reduce pain.
- Electrical stimulation — This technique uses a machine to administer small bursts of electricity to the muscles in your neck. This can help reduce tension in the muscles that may be putting pressure on your spine and causing pain.
- Therapeutic massage — In many cases, therapeutic massage can help release tension in the muscles and reduce pressure off the spine. This can reduce pain and help you feel more relaxed.
Visit the iRISE Spine and Joint Institute for chiropractic neck treatment
If you have neck pain, don’t panic and assume that you will need a lot of medications or surgery. Chiropractic care can be used to address a variety of conditions that cause neck pain. Our orthopedic specialists at the iRISE Spine and Joint Institute can examine your neck and determine if you’re a good candidate for chiropractic care. Contact our team today to learn more about chiropractic neck treatment or to schedule an initial appointment.