What Kind of Doctor Do You Need to See After an Auto Accident Injury?

Doctor checking patient's eyes‚Äč

Automobile accidents frequently cause injuries that are painful and present major setbacks in life. These injuries can limit your range of motion or make it difficult for you to concentrate and complete tasks independently.

After you’ve been involved in an auto accident, it’s always a good idea to contact a medical professional for an examination. Even if you don’t feel any pain, a medical examination may reveal the developing symptoms of an injury that would display a few days after the accident.

However, there may be some confusion on your part of who to see. Your family doctor? An emergency doctor? A specialist of some sort? If you’ve been in an accident and are trying to figure out what kind of doctor to see, take a look at the information below.

Types of doctors you should see after an auto accident injury

First of all, we should clarify that there are no restrictions on which doctors you can see. If they are a licensed medical doctor, they should be able to provide some level of treatment or be able to refer you to the correct type of physician. However, to save you some time here is a look at who you might want to see after an accident:

  • Emergency doctor — If you have life-threatening symptoms after an automobile accident, you need to contact emergency medical professionals for assistance. Likely, an ambulance with emergency medical technicians will come to pick you up and provide initial treatment until they can pass you on to an emergency doctor to complete your treatment.

    Examples of life-threatening symptoms include:
    • Blood loss
    • Unconsciousness
    • Headaches and dizziness
    • Concussion
    • Blurred vision
    • Sharp pain in the spine or neck
    • Numbness in the spine or neck
    • Pain in the spine or neck that is worse when you move
  • Orthopedic surgeon — Many people who are injured after an auto injury choose to visit orthopedic surgeons. These are doctors who specialize in treating injuries that affect your muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, and joints, which make up a large portion of injuries that occur in auto accidents. Orthopedic surgeons can also perform examinations to determine if you have hidden symptoms of an injury after an accident.
  • Doctor of Chiropractic — Doctors of chiropractic specialize in adjustments that help reduce pain and improve the range of motion in your spine and joints. They often help treat whiplash and similar conditions after an auto accident.

Visit the iRISE Spine and Joint Institute today for auto accident injury treatment

Have you recently been in an automobile accident and need treatment for an injury or an examination for hidden symptoms? At the Florida Spine and Joint Institute, we have orthopedic specialists and doctors of chiropractic who can treat a variety of injuries that may develop as the result of an automobile accident. Contact our team today for more information about accident injury treatment or call us at (888) 655-7473 to schedule an initial appointment.